Every Computer user wants to make his/her system to look different from others, say Background, Screensavers, Startup Sound, you name it. Microsoft Corporation understands it and offers freedom to its users to customize their windows as they want. Here we are going to learn to how to change logon screen in Windows 7.
What is Logon Screen?
Logon screen is the welcome screen with a default background picture which comes when you start your computer. If you have protected your windows with password, it is screen where you need to enter your password before you access the system.
How to change logon screen in Windows 7
If you get tired looking the same welcome logon screen every day, you can change it with some small changes in the OEM settings (Original Equipment Manufactures). You can do it manually and also with a third party software.
Physical or Manual Method
In this method you have to change ‘Register Setting’ manually. Follow the steps below:
1. Go to ‘Start Menu’ and enter ‘regedit’ and press enter. ‘regedit’ means ‘Registry Editor’.
2. Open the ‘regedit’ program.
Note: Depending on your setting the computer may ask for permission to start the program. Just click ‘Yes’ and proceed.
3. The ‘Register Editor’ window will open. See Picture below:
4. Select ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE’ go to ‘Edit’. Then click find.
5. Type ‘OEMBackground’ (One word) in the Find windows and hit Enter.
There is another way to find ‘OEMBackground’ manually. You can do it by:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Authentication > LogonUI > Background
6. Now click on ‘OEMBackground’ and set the value 1 in ‘Edit DWORD’ window. Then click OK.
7. Go to the Computer folder where you have installed the Windows OS. Generally it is installed in ‘C Drive’. Follow the steps:
Windows > System32 > Oobe > Info > Backgrounds
PS: In some computers info folder is not available. Hence you need to create a folder under ‘oobe’ and name it ‘info’. In info folder you have to create another folder called ‘backgrounds’.
8. Now open the ‘Background’ folder. Put any JPG picture of your choice which you want to set as logon screen and name it backgroundDefault.jpg. Make sure that it should be not more than 256 KB in size. Otherwise, you would not see any change on the Logon Screen.
You can reduce the size of the picture with photo editor software or using online tools. Check out Smushit, an online tool to reduce picture size without much compromising the quality.
9. You are done. Now next time you will find this custom logon screen when you logon to your computer.
Change logon screen with third party software
There are numbers of software available which help you to customize logon screen. Even you can set a group of photos to rotate for every start up. Please wait for the next post for third party software.http://goo.gl/FoQ4C